There are many ways you can make your workplace healthier for your employees – and increase motivation, commitment and attendance.
By putting in place measures like these you can help all your employees to maintain good mental health, and reduce the risks of breakdown, stress, anxiety or more severe mental ill-health.
- ensuring employees have a good work/life balance
- being clear about responsibilities and expectations
- allowing employees flexibility in working hours
- encouraging social and sporting events among staff
Where do you start?
Talking about mental health tackles discrimination - click here for top tips to help your colleagues talk more openly and honestly.
There are many resources available to help you make your workplace healthier and happier.
They will show you:
- how to support an employee with experience of mental health problems
- how to talk to an employee who is distressed
- how to keep in touch during sickness absence
- what sorts of adjustments to consider when an employee is returning to work
Follow the links below:
- Promoting mental wellbeing through productive and healthy working conditions: guidance for employers Nice guideline 2009
- The BITC's workwell has a whole host of information. You can also visit our partnership page with them here.
- Why do employees come to work when ill? An investigation by The Work foundation 2010
- Speak Out magazine - the workpace issue. Find out how workplaces are tackling stigma and discrimination on the office floor.
- The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced ‘guidance for developing a workplace mental health policy’.
How healthy is your company’s culture?
- Mind Workplace provides consultancy and training for employers to help them manage mental health and maximise their company’s true potential.
Local support and training services
- Many organisations offer support and training to organisations at at local level which can help to challenge stigma and promote healthy workplaces. Norwich and Central Norfolk Mind for example offers a Working Well service.