Planning your activity or event is key to make sure it goes smoothly on the day. Follow the steps below to make sure you've thought through what you need to do to make your event or activity a success.
1. Decide what kind of activity you want to do
You need to know what kind of event or activity you'd like to do before you can plan it. There are lots of ideas in the activity generator or come up with a creative idea of your own!
2. Work out what you'll broadly need to do to do your activity
All events or activities will be different. The simpler the event, the less you'll have to do, but some of the following will apply to you. Check through the list to make sure you haven't forgotten anything.
- Financial: fundraising, asset mapping, drawing up a budget, buying the things you'll need for your event or activity, making any bookings
- Health and Safety: creating health and safety documents, getting public liability insurance, testing any electrical equipment or booking a generator
- Other: finding volunteers or other Champions, finding and booking a venue, sending out invitations/publicising your event or activity*, sending emails to your volunteers to keep them informed of what's happening
*most Time to Change activities aren't advertised because we want to change the way people think and act about mental health who don't already have an interest in mental health. Advertising usually brings people to our events who already have an interest in mental health! Click here to find out how to reach people who aren't interested in mental health.
3. Put the tasks in a detailed timeline and set a date
Create a table with the weeks until your event across the top and the tasks down the side
Give yourself much more time than you think you'll need, as things often take longer than you think!
For each of the tasks in the list above there will be several steps that you'll need to put in your timeline e.g. for finding a venue the steps might be:
- Make a list of possible venues
- Contact venues to find availability
- Visit possible venues
- Book venue
- Locate anything the venue doesn't have that is needed for the event
Your timeline might look something like this, with extra rows for each task you have:
4. Track your progress
As you complete tasks, you might like to cross them off in some way, so you can keep track of where you're up to and keep yourself motivated!