About this pledge
VCA is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport and the UK’s national approval authority for new road vehicles, agricultural tractors and off-road vehicles. Our status allows close links with the UK Government and European policy formulation and enforcement of vehicle safety and environmental standards.
We pride ourselves in providing expert international test and certification services for vehicles and vehicle parts. Our approval certificates are recognised throughout the European Community and the wider group of countries belonging to the European Economic Area and the Geneva-based United Nations organisation (ECE).
VCA is a people centric organisation, delivering a vital service. The wellbeing of employees is incredibly important; it is clearly central to their health and happiness, as well as the Agency’s ongoing success.
Outlined below is VCA’s commitment to supporting the health and wellbeing of all employees.
VCA are committed to:
• Creating an open and supportive environment where employees feel safe to talk honestly about their health and wellbeing, especially on subjects which are related to non-visible disabilities and mental health
• Encouraging a culture where managers take an active interest in the health and wellbeing of their team. This includes an understanding that good mental health is essential in helping employees do the best job they can and boosts resilience.
• Enabling employees to raise, discuss and resolve individual work-related ill-health issues, through the involvement of and consultation with the Occupational Health Service
• Supporting employees to take care of their own health and wellbeing, whilst encouraging a healthier lifestyle to prevent health problems occurring
• Monitoring sickness absence trends which may allow us to provide early intervention and pro-active management of ill-health conditions.
Integral to the all of the above is VCA’s commitment towards Mental Health. VCA’s established Mental Health Champion, Mental Health First Aiders and Wellbeing Committee collaborate to create a supportive and understanding working environment across VCA which is free of stigma and discrimination.
Raising Mental Health Awareness and promoting Wellbeing is a top priority at VCA, and colleagues are actively encouraged to engage in Mental Health related campaigns and activities. The service of the contracted Employee Assistance Programme is actively promoted during all campaigns to ensure employees are aware of the free and confidential access available to them of trained wellbeing and counselling advisors.
VCA Local HR will continue to have day-to-day responsibility for the occupational health and wellbeing of all employees, with the full support from the CEO, and the senior management team, to ensure that this commitment is fulfilled.