Each year one in four adults will be affected by mental health problems. Our Stigma Shout survey shows that nearly nine in ten people with mental health problems were negatively affected by stigma.
If you want to help make life better for people with mental health problems, then take your first step by adding your name to the Time to Change pledgewall. More than 60,000 people have already committed to challenge mental health discrimination by signing our pledge.
Did you know that 60% of people say that stigma and discrimination are as damaging as the symptoms of their mental health problem?
Our campaign is built upon the experiences of real people. More than a third of the people we surveyed say that the stigma they face has made them give up on their hopes, dreams and ambitions.
What is the Time to Change pledge?
Since 2007 Time to Change has been the leading campaign against mental health discrimination in England. We have been working hard to improve public attitudes towards mental health, and increase the confidence of people with mental health problems to challenge discrimination.
In this time more than 60,000 people across England have added their name to our pledgewall, showing support for those facing mental health discrimination. Our pledge is a quick and straightforward way to show your support of our campaign. Take your pick from these five common pledges – or write your own!
- I will keep in touch and ask a friend or loved one how they are
- I will share my mental health story to help others understand mental health
- I will look out for friends and loved ones and support them when needed
- I will volunteer at a local event to raise awareness of mental health
- I will challenge mental health stigma and discrimination when I see it
Remember, 1 in 4 people will be affected by mental health problems in any year. Sometimes it’s the little things that can make a big difference, like being there for someone to talk to. You don’t need to be an expert to talk about mental health. Start your conversation today by adding your name to our pledgewall.
Why should you pledge?
- Join a growing social movement who have pledged to challenge mental health discrimination
- We’ll send you tips to help you put your pledge into action
- It’s easy, just fill in this form
What are people saying about the Time to Change pledge?
I have signed the Time to Change pledge to try to reduce mental health stigma and discrimination, and to encourage people to speak up if they feel alone or afraid.
I hope to increase awareness and understanding of those who have no experience of mental health issues.
Take your first step now. Add your pledge >