Retirement of the Employer Pledge
On 21 April 2020, Time to Change announced the retirement of the Time to Change Employer Pledge.
Employers wanting to improve attitudes and behaviour in relation to mental health within their organisations have until 9am on 18 May 2020 to apply to become a Time to Change Pledged Employer and submit their action plan.
While applications to the Pledge will close in May 2020, a package of ongoing support will be provided to Pledged Employers until the end of the year. The Time to Change Employers Team will continue to offer support to pledged employers through free Train the Trainer Champion training, invitations to Masterclass events and the production of campaign activity packs until the end of December 2020.
What is the Time to Change Employer Pledge?
The Time to Change Employer Pledge is a commitment to changing the way we all think and act about mental health in the workplace.
This commitment is supported by a 12-month Employer Action Plan founded on the principles of the 2017 Thriving at Work Report and built upon 5 years of evidence-based interventions researched by the Time to Change Employers Team.
The Employer Pledge and Employer Action Plan supports your organisation to put in place best-practice interventions and policy to help your staff work in ways that promote a positive mental wellbeing.
Over 1,400 organisations, employing over 3 million people, have now signed the Time to Change Employer Pledge. The Employer Pledge is free of charge and available to organisations based in England.
Why sign the Employer Pledge?
Mental health is a significant issue your organisation cannot afford to ignore:
- 1 in 4 British workers are affected by conditions like anxiety, depression and stress every year.
- 9 out of 10 people who experience mental health problems say they face stigma and discrimination as a result.
- 60% of people say that stigma and discrimination are as damaging, or more damaging, than the symptoms of their mental health problem and 54% percent of people say they are impacted most by such stigma in their place of work.
Poor mental health can have a significant cost to your business:
- Every year a cost of between £33 billion and £42 billion is incurred by employers as a result of poor mental health.
- Mental ill-health is the leading cause of sickness absence in the UK, costing an average of £1,035 per employee per year.
- 300,000 people leave their place of work each year due to poor mental health.
Organisations who take the Pledge and put their Action Plan in place have found that employees report feeling more supported about issues concerning mental health, are more willing to disclose their personal lived experience, and are more confident about making managers and colleagues aware of their experience.
Since signing the pledge, 95% of employers have said it has had a positive impact on their organisation.
What support will I receive?
Once you've signed the Pledge, you'll have access to a free package of support which includes:
- Invitations to a series of Masterclasses hosted across England on key topics and themes in workplace wellbeing.
- Invitations to attend Time to Change Champion ‘Train the Trainer’ Training in London.
- Activity and Resource Packs for key campaign dates across the year to enable you to easily roll out campaigns across your organisation.
- A monthly newsletter full of useful resources, best practise advice and case studies from other Pledged organisations.
Once registered, we'll send you all the information you need to begin developing your Employer Action Plan. Please note, to register you'll be asked to supply information about your organisation including the number of employees working in England.