Mental health is an issue your organisation can’t afford to ignore:
- Almost one in three people have experienced mental health issues while in employment
- Mental ill-health is the leading cause of sickness absence in the UK, costing an average of £1,035 per employee per year
- 95% of employees calling in sick with stress gave a different reason
Find out more about different mental health problems
Stigma is where an employee is perceived as being different because of their mental health problem.
Tackling stigma and discrimination and developing a culture where your employees feel able to talk openly about their mental health problems should be a number one priority within your organisation. Find out how to do this via our Time to Change Employer Pledge
Take a look at our report which addresses the steps employers can take to create mentally healthy workplaces, based on feedback from employees and national best practice.
The following pages give information on:
- protecting your employees from discrimination;
- supporting your team with their mental health including a useful guide to assist line managers in dealing with disclosure about a mental health problem; and
- training options so your line managers are confident to have conversations about mental health including a template business case document to encourage your senior leaders to sign off on mental health training